Skip to main content

tv   The Beat With Ari Melber  MSNBC  August 24, 2017 3:00pm-4:00pm PDT

3:00 pm
serving of alcoholic beverages. the issue, copper should not come into contact with acidic foods with a ph below 6. they say the ph of a traditional moscow mule is below 6. the press release is chemophobic fear mongering and that you don't need to worry about copper poisoning. moscow and poison are two words that when said together are really frightening. this is totally different thing though but proceed to happy hour at your own risk or use those mugs to drink a white russian. that's all for tonight. we'll be back tomorrow with more mtp daily. the beat with ari melber starts,000. if i drink a white russian will you call me dude? >> i just want to know how many white russians you've had. that's all i want to know.
3:01 pm
>> i feel like i had a lot. today my mouth was not keeping up with my brain. >> all i can say is this why i watch. donald trump is riling republicans today. he's saying if he doesn't get his wall, he will shut it down. donald trump does not headache much policy but he is willing to make noise. today doubling down on a threat to shut down the government if he doesn't get money for a boarder wall. he's clearly reaching back to classic hits with his base. >> on day one, we will begin working on an impenetratable tall, powerful, beautiful, wall. >> day one was a long time ago. this is day 217 and even trump allies question whether he can
3:02 pm
salvage his presidency, republicans are telling each other the party you save, may be your own. late august is not usually the time to play your last card in legislative wrangling but trump dialing it up to 11 with this threat to shut down the government. his spokesperson didn't add much nuance today. >> the president sign any budget bill that does not include funding for the wall? >> he campaigned on the wall. he won on talking about building the wall. he'll continue to fight for that funding. >> why is he now threatening a government shut down if congress won't pay for it? >> the president is committing to making sure this gets done. >> why is he threatening a shut down over paying for it? >> once again the president is committing to making sure this happens. >> president getting casual calling out mitch m. and paul r. speaker ryan saying the house passed a bill funding the border
3:03 pm
wall back in july. >> we passed that already in the house. we've passed the funding for the boarder security. that's something we feel strongly about. >> trump's threats and takes against his own party has gotten so bad it's raising questions about whether he will see a primary challenger according to republicans this 2020. >> the direction he's headed right now kind of drilling down on the base rather than trying to expand the base, i think he's invietsing one. >> some serious talk from republican senator. if trump were to get his way, it would be the first time you'd have a government shutdown when one party controls the house, senate and the white house. trump has talked a lot about unity. perhaps this is what unity looks like trump style. i want to welcome usa today political senior reporter and undocumented immigrant and political resident for our
3:04 pm
revolution. let's start with the wall, the funding and why donald trump is saying this is the wall he might want to die on politically. >> we see where he's coming from. you cannot see -- where else is he going to come from after coming from arizona and defending joe arpaio. this is a president who has literally folk who is are white supremacists in the white house and cannot continue to scapegoat immigrants. i hope that whatever he is threatening to do that congress, republicans and democrat and say that's not the solution. the solution is taking care of the 11 million people who are here and stop blaming us for the economy of this country. there's so many more solutions that can happen.
3:05 pm
>> joe, you contrast that with the politics. paul ryan telling donald trump keep my name out your mouth. i already did what you wanted on this money. other republicans saying we might want to work on tightening immigration reform. there are ways to do that on the border that both parties have explored. you don't see this late august kind of gamesmanship when it's all within one party. >> i think the republicans must be very worried that the president is out of control and that he wants to draw them into some kind of weird fiscal s suicisu suicide pact. the wall is not popular, at least not the way he wants to do it. government shutdown is less popular. he's basically saying to the republicans, if you don't do what i want, the way i want it, i'm going to blow my brains out and take you with me
3:06 pm
metaphorically. i can't see how they can work with that. this is a president who doesn't really understand legislative process. isn't interested in it and doesn't realize, i guess, how bad it would be for him and his party if they did proceed to a government shutdown somehow. >> then heidi, there's the question of the votes in the mexican congress. i don't know what your mexican congressional whip count in at this point and time and how prepared you are to talk about it on national television but this is how prepared the white house press secretary. maybe it was all fan fiction during the campaign but now we're in it. it's real about whether mexico will pay for it. take a listen to sarah huckabee sanders. >> does that mean he's abandoning any efforts to negotiate with mexico, any payment? >> i don't think any efforts have been abandoned. >> he's not saying that mexico is going to pay for it. >> he hasn't said they're not either. >> we've gone from mexico will
3:07 pm
pay. you better believe it to he hasn't said they're not paying. >> mexico was never going to pay for the wall. this is like the extreme illustration that he's going to shut down congress unless the american people pay for the wall. we have to take the senior white house officials that are saying to the media that he's quite serious about this seriously. if he is, that could be -- this could be the wall that not necessarily trump dies on but this congress dies on because at the end of the day, this is a promise that he made from day one when he descended those stairs and launched his campaign by calling mexicans rapists and druggies and carving out this niche on immigration. he will never get the money so at tend of the day if he decides that somebody has to take the blame, it's not going to be him. it's going to be the republican congress. you can see he is already pointing that finger and polls show, guess what, a lot of his
3:08 pm
base, they will go ahead and blame congress and not him. i think that you can see how he's kind of planting the seeds for that here. >> victoria. >> in terms the strategy for paying for the wall, it was mexico's going to pay for it but then there was an intermediate step. when he figured out maybe mexico won't pay, i will garnish the money that mexicans send back home to mexico. there's been this other step in between. then there was the idea of having a border tax. he's been playing with that mexico part quite a bit. now it's come down to the american taxpayer. here's the thing about the border wall. over half of americans don't want to spend the money on the wall. it's only 28% of americans who want that wall. the support is very slim yet deep. we already have 700 miles of
3:09 pm
border wall. in addition to that 700 mile physical fence that we already have, we have hundreds, thousands of drones, of thermal sensors in addition to the border patrol. when trump speaks, he makes it seem like it's this baron waste land. th -- barren waste land. >> there are places based on border security has determined. joe, on the politics, you also have people saying in the republican party far early than any other administration that maybe he won't be the nominee next time.
3:10 pm
>> i don't believe they will. i guess the next step would be they would primary him. who is going to do that? is it vice president pence who has been out showing himself around? i don't know. they have a big problem in their party because they have a split. they have a split between the congressional party and what amounts to the presidential party. i don't think either side can win without the other. they didn't really win the presidential election. they lost the pop yular vote. it's not a healthy situation for either the congressional side or the trump side. >> i don't know you've been assessing him also on personal terms. it's shotgomething we'll talk a on the beat.
3:11 pm
my question for you, is there a way the wall ends with nada if he gets to blame someone and doesn't care about the outcome? >> yes but i don't think that congress remains silent. anybody in a seat that isn't safe and think they have to say something about this add mgs and its spending policies why, why there's no infrastructure program, why the health care plan crashed. they're not going to not say it's trump. they will have to say, listen, the president has failed and all of america is watching this happen. it's not as if trump can fool all of the people all the time. that is not happening. his poll numbers are very low. the listen is his administration isn't improving.
3:12 pm
>> i heard you can only fool some of the people some of the time. >> you heard that. >> you thoughts on all of this as we think about the debate heading into september in congress. >> i think that the president has a very, he's very stubborn on getting whatever he promised in his political campaign done. those are not real solutions. it's not only about the wall. it's about an attack on immigrants. we have seen the muslim ban. we have seen him threatening to take daca away from us. we need both parties trying to stop playing political football and make sure in this budget
3:13 pm
also enforcement and a lot of other different policies that are going to affect our community. >> thank you for being here. joe, stick around. there's something else i want to ask you about. appreciate your time. next up the russia investigation in trump. a to democrat turning up the heat after discussing the key witness with that controversial dossier. trump's ban on transgender military service members. we have a special guest. this is president obama's army secretary who happens to be the first openly gay head of a military service. he's on the beat. a strange disconnect emerging in trump polling and what the resistance can learn from it. we go underneath the numbers with two advisors to barack obama about what democrats should do. you're watching the beat on msnbc. ♪
3:14 pm
when heartburn hits fight back fast with tums chewy bites. fast relief in every bite. crunchy outside. chewy inside. tum tum tum tum tums chewy bites. it's our back to school beeone cent evente. at office depot office max. 10 pack pens, one cent. composition notebooks,scissors, and plastic folders all one cent each! hurry to office depot office max. ♪taking care of business. nitrites or artificial ham has preservatives.tes,
3:15 pm
now it's good for us all. like those who like. sweet those who prefer heat. sfx - a breath of air and those who just love meat. oscar mayer deli fresh. sweet! i wanted to know where i did my ancestrydna. the most shocking result was that i'm 26% native american. i had no idea. it's opened up a whole new world for me. ♪ at the lexus golden opportunity sales event before it ends. choose from the is turbo, es 350 or nx turbo for $299 a month for 36 months if you lease now. experience amazing at your lexus dealer.
3:16 pm
3:17 pm
russia is back in the news for donald trump. congressional investigators obtain add trump campaign e-mail never seen before proposing a trump official meet with vladmir putin. the pitch went to man who works in the trump white house. he used to be the number one staffer for jeff sessions. yes, the same jeff sessions under fire for mischaracterizing his own meetings with russian officials. that's the first reason russia is back in the news. the drip, drip, drip evidence of trump-russia contact. the second reason is trump himself. this amp the washington post had an account of the seven different times trump has tried to call off the dogs on russia including a new report that trump lobbied against a bill to product bob mueller's job.
3:18 pm
that is bad. >> does that mean that firing the special counsel is something that's on the table for this president? >> although the president has the authority to do so, he doesn't intend to do so. >> the third reason russia is back tonight, maybe the biggest reason, the dossier. a key witness linked to the dossier telling investigators about it this week and republican chuck grassley saying that very testimony could go public bringing even more scrutiny on its explosive accounting of those alleged links between russia and trump. no, this isn't going away. while the dossier is one accounting of those issues, we're not saying it's all verified. today the top democrat says much of the dossier checks out. >> when you look at just what has become public, some of the public information is very much in line with what is reported in
3:19 pm
that dossier. >> what is reported in that dossier is in line with what we know. that's what congressman schiff was saying. the dossier matches up the kremlin's three goal, recruiting, friendly trump backers, gathering intel and releasing compromising intel. >> they want to find out what support friendly u.s. persons would want. they want to gather intelligence and disseminate compromising information. an effort to find out what the trump campaign would want and what they want is negative information. they disseminated that intelligence.
3:20 pm
>> he's covered many washington scandals. nick, i go to you first. congressman schiff saying it may not be all true but it's a lot true. >> it could all be true. we keep learning new and additional facts. we don't know what mueller's staff know. we may just have the tip of the iceberg. he has access to intelligence information. national security wiretaps. we don't really know what's going on. kind of at the same teem ime wep getting more evidence. we also learned that donald trump has consistently from day one tried to stop this russian investigation. he did it not only with trying to get comey to back off and
3:21 pm
then firing him. he's directly lobbying congress to try to ensure that he has a way to get rid of this investigation. all of this comes down to one simple fact. you have somebody who is acting extremely guilty. someone who is acting in a way that he realizes that time is running out and he's taking all kinds of desperate moves to try and stop this investigation. >> you put it so well and interestingly. you're a prosecutor. you know something that people often forget which is prosecution is not about crime. many, many crimes go unsolved. prosecution is about evidence. >> it's gathering facts. >> what are the facts in this dossier that actually are
3:22 pm
important to mueller's muelle. s he's not dealing in ethics. what are the things in the dossier, in your view as a prosecutor, that go toward federal crimes? >> what goes towards federal crimes goes toward the motive. the question is did donald trump, did the campaign collude with the russians. do the russians have something overdonald trump that's made him basically criticize everybody else in the world except putin. those are the questions i'd be asking. looking at the financial transactions that are listed in this dossier, i think all of those are fair game to try to determine who the players are and why donald trump is doing what he's done and whether or not that is connected to some of the same people who showed up at the june 9th meeting at trump tower. >> let me go to joe because
3:23 pm
you've covered a lot of these types of issues. i don't know if you've ever gotten a seat at passover satyr but we say why is this night different from all other nights. >> i've been to a few, ari. >> having covered your share of legal political dramas in washington, why is this investigation and this dossier different than so many others? >> well i think it's different because there's such a large characters and organizations that are implicated in this scandal now in ways that seem fairly concrete. keep in mind, the dossier itself was never meant to be exposed to the public. that kind of happened by accident. it was supposed to be a guides to people researching trump and trying to understand his relationship with the russians beginning with republicans concerned about him and passing onto democrats.
3:24 pm
what's interesting about this, to me, will be if we get to see glen simpson's testimony. that's the former wall street jou journal reporter who had responsibility for assembling the dossier and hired christopher steel, the former mi6 agent who worked on this because of his russia connections. those are people, i don't know if you know, glen. i've known him a long time. i have a lot of confidence in his integrity and his seriousness. people in england that i've talked to and that others have spoken to say the same thing about christopher steel. >> you know glen. what picture do you think glen painted in this still secret testimo testimony. his lawyers said they do want it released. >> i think glen explained he hasn't been up to anything nefarious here. he was doing a job that he was hired to do as a private investigator. he did not, for instance, has
3:25 pm
been accused set up the trump tower meeting as some kind of trick on the trumps and it will be interesting to see, by the way, when and if donald trump junior, paul manafort and jared kushner finally testify before the committee themselves and see whether their testimony is released. >> let me go to nick. >> i have my doubts about that. none of them have testified yet. >> nick. >> i think that's right. what are they going to say? we know what donald trump and jared kushner are saying by virtue of the statements ta donald trump created for his son, if not for jared kushner. he created a statement that took them both out of any criminal involvement whatsoever. the real test will be in the cross-examination of both of these individuals and taking the documents that they find and whatever other e-mails that they come up with and to really go
3:26 pm
after both of these individuals as well as paul manafort and really take them to the test of taking them through all of this evidence bit by bit. that's the part that's going to really make the difference here. >> thank you, both. >> thank you. coming up, reports that the trump administration can make it official soon. they want to ban transgender service members from the entire military. the first openly gay secretary of the army is here to discuss. why isn't trump even more unpopular given how unpopular so many of his policies are and can democrats change the equation? i take pictures of sunrises,
3:27 pm
but with my back pain i couldn't sleep and get up in time. then i found aleve pm. aleve pm is the only one to combine a safe sleep aid plus the 12 hour pain relieving strength of aleve. i'm back. aleve pm for a better am. this timyou haveis turn. 4.3 minutes to yourself. this calls for a taste of cheesecake. new philadelphia cheesecake cups. rich, creamy cheesecake with real strawberries. find them with the refrigerated desserts. it's our back to school beeone cent evente. at office depot office max. 10 pack pens, one cent. composition notebooks,scissors, and plastic folders all one cent each!
3:28 pm
hurry to office depot office max. ♪taking care of business. itthe power of nexium 24hr protection from frequent heartburn. all day, and all night. now packed into a pill so small, we call it mini. new clearminis from nexium 24hr. see heartburn differently. whether it's connecting one of or bringing wifi to 65,000 fans. campuses. businesses count on communication, and communication counts on centurylink.
3:29 pm
all service members are brothers and sisters. they're all part of the same family. they take the same oath. fight for the same flag and live according to the same law.
3:30 pm
they're bound together by common purpose, mutual trust and selfless devotion to our nation and to each other. >> donald trump on monday saying veterans are all part of one family. today a new report in the wall street journal that he's moving forward demanding the u.s. military break up that family and kick out people who self-identify as transgender. joining me now for a special discussion is eric fanning. he's a former secretary of the army under barack obama. he happens to be the first openly gay man to hold that post. your reaction to what the president proposes now. >> i think he's the commander in chief and he has thousands of transgender service members serving under him now and he describes them as a burdens and disruption. the only disruption i see in this is his proposal to discharge them and take them out of jobs for which they have been trained and pull the rug under a
3:31 pm
commitment after a year's worth of study and review and creation of policy. >> one of our reporters on the beat spoke here to currently enrolled member of the u.s. military who happens to be transgender, who i believe you've met. i want to you about this. this is logan ireland who says new today for my president to deny an able bodied, fully qualified person the ability to raise their right hand and serve their country, potential glifing their own life for our freedoms is doing there country an injustice. can you tell us anything about sergeant ireland and do you agree this is perhaps within the authority of a commander in chief, do you also view this as an injustice? >> i do view it as an injustice. the only thing that should matter for service is requirements. if you can meet the requirements, you should be able to serve. this goes beyond that. it says people who have already been recruited, trained, doing their jobs, clearly meeting the
3:32 pm
requirements that they have to leave. >> we talk a lot about politics in the news. this story is much deeper than that. i wonder if you would comment on the polling that's showing republicans, 60% of republicans oppose allowing transgender people to serve in the military. >> you got the majority of the public overall that supports this service. in some ways the president may have done the exact opposite of what he intended because he's introduced transgender americans to the rest of the country as pa tr patriots. they're already serving. policies really just catching up with the reality in the field. there's already african-americans serves when we integrated. gays have been in military from the very start.
3:33 pm
>> it almost doesn't matter if someone in the abstract are thinking about who should be there. thank you. >> thank you. coming up, trump's poll numbers are low. we know that. here is a strange fact. his policy plans poll any lower. i have two former add visors to barack obama to dig into what the resistance wants to do about it. when heartburn hits fight back fast with tums chewy bites. fast relief in every bite. crunchy outside. chewy inside. tum tum tum tum tums chewy bites. this is not a cloud. this is a tomato tracked from farm to table on a blockchain, helping keep shoppers safe.
3:34 pm
this is a financial transaction secure from hacks and threats others can't see. this is a skyscraper whose elevators use iot data and ai to help thousands get to work safely and efficiently. this is not the cloud you know. this is the ibm cloud. the ibm cloud is the cloud for enterprise. yours. the ibm cloud is the cloud for enterprise. dude. yodude.unching's sthey're just jealous. kellogg's raisin bran crunch with crunchy clusters and the taste of apples and strawberries. i got one! guess we're having cereal for dinner. kellogg's raisin bran crunch apple strawberry. no, please, please, oh! ♪ (shrieks in terror) (heavy breathing and snorting) no, no. the running of the bulldogs? surprising. what's not surprising?
3:35 pm
how much money aleia saved by switching to geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more. it's our back to school beeone cent evente. at office depot office max. 10 pack pens, one cent. composition notebooks,scissors, and plastic folders all one cent each! hurry to office depot office max. ♪taking care of business.
3:36 pm
when heartburn hits fight back fast with tums chewy bites. fast relief in every bite. crunchy outside. chewy inside. tum tum tum tum tums chewy bites.
3:37 pm
donald trump is not popular. about 56% of the americans disapprove of him and only 30% approve putting him 20 points under water. conventional wisdom is that trump's 37% base does not drop and when democrats or fact checkers hit trump, it only helps him. call it the dr. dre rule of politics. when you diss trump, you diss yourself. that conventional wisdom only tells part of the story. a former aide has a theory about trump support that might rescue democrats. the key is to ignore the service and the cult of personality and hammer his actual policies. take this week's talk of a border wall. >> build that wall. >> talking about the wall or a shutdown or trump's rhetoric may be exciting but what about
3:38 pm
digging into the policy of the wall. only 28% of the americans back paying for it. that means that many people who still a prove of trump oppose funding his wall. or take paris. the american writer henry miller said to know paris is know a great deal, but trump wanted to know less of paris. >> i was elected to represent the citizens of pittsburgh not paris. we're getting out. >> only 28% of the americans support getting out of paris to put it that way. trump supporters among the people who don't like a trump policy. take a look at health care. >> this is a great plan. i actually think it will get even better, and this is make no mistake, this is a repeal and a replace of obamacare. make no mistake about it. >> okay. only 16% of the americans back
3:39 pm
that trump care approach to obamacare which means roughly the majority of trump's own supporters oppose his policy. democrats talk a lot about trump the man. his demeanor, attitude, ethic and fitness for office. this strategist is arguing that a focus on trump the man is probably a losing frame. exposing the trump agenda make pick off a few votes and the argument is trump came out of november 2.9 votes in the hole. a few more votes is all democrats need. are president trump's policies more vulnerable than he is. is that where democrats should be focusing. is it time to ignore the circus. i'm joined by the democratic strategist advocating this approach. he's a former clinton and obama staffer. you see him there. democratic pollster considwho i official.
3:40 pm
trump supporters like him more than his policy. why do you think any information about his policy will move them? >> one of the things you can look at is there's two buckets. one is the trump circus which is the tweet, vulgarity, coarseness, racism, sexism. all the stuff that really gets coverage. the other part is the trump policies which are fairly conventional republican policies. the conventional wisdom is the trump circus is a distraction from the trump policies. the reality is the trump circus is more popular than the trump policy. look at the response to charlottesville. as bad as the response for that, his response for charlottesville was more popular than trump care. 28% of the people approved his
3:41 pm
response. only 16% approve of trump care. there's no connection between this president's popularity and the popularity of his policies which makes him very different from other presidents historically. >> it's fascinating the way you put it. it's different. democrats seize on whatever his latest comments are and say this is really bad or the worst. cornell your response. >> i don't disagree with my friend. i think it's a little more complicated. i think there's several variables. the very fact that he is out talking about and promoting such unpopular positions yet his favorability stays where it is with the base speaks to the disconnect with the issues. i want to -- i also want to understand help the viewers understand the context here as well. democrats are obsessed with
3:42 pm
these trump voters. trump is a president with less than a plurality support. even in the key battleground states he failed to reach what obama did. the core of trump voters, we see in polling really doesn't move that much. what's been problematic for democrats is that 51% majority out there who voted for barack obama and quite frankly did not stay in line with hillary and protested the vote. they voted for george bush
3:43 pm
because they thought he was a good man and a moral man. when you look at trump's support and where he's not dropping off in these characteristics, it's still a round strength. his voters still see him as a strong leader and voters broadly still see him as a strong leader although they don't necessarily agree with him. when president obama was so very successful, it was driving this characteristic around change. in 2008 if you told me the advantage that we had over a candidate who bring change to washington over john mccain, i would tell you what the horse race in that state would be. when you look at 2012, even against romney, it wasn't that voters thought that romney was going to be bad on the economy, he was a businessman but they did think that obama would be better fighting for the middle class. >> you're talking about traits. you said people think trump is
3:44 pm
still strong. here we see, honest, 33%. cares about people like you, only 40%. strong and decisive, 47%. does that ever move if democrats do more what of you're talking about and less of the circus? >> it will definitely move. the reason trump supporters support him is because they see him as a bull in a china shop. he's a cultural figure. he's a tribal leader. they enjoy the show of seeing him going around breaking the china. however, the minute they suspect it's their china being broken, the support drops. the classic case was trump care. largely a cut for wealthy people, for corporations at the expense of working class people.
3:45 pm
people suspect that the president is not the person that they trust with their own lives and the consequences of actual policy. however, they love the entertainment of him tweeting, of him having rallies. when you poll should the wall be built, drops down. only 16% support deportations. a whole lot of people cheering him don't support what they are cheering for. >> because you advised so many candidates, how do you even apply that? the bull in the china shop that other people look and see the president saying false claims. they see him lying. they want that called out. >> i'm not disagreeing but i think there's multiple variables. for the core group of voters and
3:46 pm
republican voters in general the strength thing is important. you talk to republicans strategist, george bush and ronald reagan. they had the strength thing. as opposed to democrats trying to take trump on multiple different fronts, his brand, this is not me. show me my opponents strength and that's what i'm going to go after. his brand is about strength. for a group of voters anxious about what's happen ing in this country. anxious about terrorists. anxious about changing world economy, they are looking for a strong figure. if we want to make end roads with trump, we have to undermine his brand as a strong leader and that's the primary charge for democrat. >> that's something i'm hearing both you have agree on. we always welcome intramural debates. sometimes they are the most
3:47 pm
interesting. i hope you come back. >> thank you. >> don't forget to check us out on facebook and twitter. we actually read them. ahead, trump trying to put pressure on journalists. today we have a new report about a real news organization that might be feeling the pressure. you're not going to want to miss this. it's next. where, in all of this, is the stuff that matters? the stakes are so high, your finances, your future. how do you solve this? you don't. you partner with a firm that advises governments and the fortune 500, and, can deliver insight person to person, on what matters to you. morgan stanley.
3:48 pm
pcountries thatk mewe traveled,t what is your nationality and i would always answer hispanic. so when i got my ancestry dna results it was a shocker. i'm everything. i'm from all nations. i would look at forms now and wonder what do i mark? because i'm everything. and i marked other. discover the story only your dna can tell. order your kit now at ancestrydna.com. when heartburn hits fight back fast with tums chewy bites. fast relief in every bite. crunchy outside. chewy inside. tum tum tum tum tums chewy bites. not necessarily after 3 toddlers with boundless energy. but lower back pain won't stop him from keeping up. because at a dr. scholl's kiosk
3:49 pm
he got a recommendation for our best custom fit orthotic to relieve his foot, knee, or lower back pain, from being on his feet. by reducing shock and stress on his body with every step. so look out world, dad's taking charge. dr. scholl's. born to move.
3:50 pm
nothing new about donald trump bashing the media. what happens if the media buckles under the pressure? that's our new story tonight. a financial times veteran now in charge of rupert murdoch's "wall street journal." >> a lot of forces feel somehow very much that they are part of the, they're in the contest, really. it is their job to take him on. if our readers see you're saying scathing things on twitter, if they think you're coming from a
3:51 pm
position, they won't trust you. so i was very concern that had we are fair. >> got to be fair. an unusual move for an editor-in-chief. he drew even more heat when they only had excerpts from the interview. if you wanted a full transcript. you had to go to politico.com. that's weird. it was because of a leak. hit stuff the journal did not release like ivanka saying, i heard you were here. i wanted to come by and say hi. the trump family vacation socializing with news corp goes all the way to the top. you can see her he socializing with the murdochs. here's what's new today. a very rare leak about baker and trump. now, let's be honest. reporters love leaks. they're exciting. we think they're revealing. they usually give you some lead on the truth even when they don't have the whole truthful
3:52 pm
perhaps the only leaks reporters don't love are bleeleaks about reporters and that's what makes a different story. going to the top of the "wall street journal" some arguing, he wants to ease up on trump. these new leaks say he described mr. trump's phoenix speech as an off script return to campaign form. but baker shot that down telling reporters in a midnight e-mail, sorry, this is commentary dressed up as news reporting. could we please just stick on reporting what he said rather than packaging it? it is not clear why the reporters' reference would be selective criticism. baker said earlier this year, reporters should not call false statements by president trump lies. they should believe conclusion to their leaders. i want to bring in lloyd grove,
3:53 pm
an editor-in-chief. what's going on here? >> well, rupert murdoch talks to trump almost every day, one hears. and jerry baker, a british citizen but a murdoch employee for a long time, does the boss's bidding. for a long time at the journal. he's said that reporters should not be tough on trump. although he would deny that. he calls it fake news. but there's a lot of frustration in the "wall street journal" newsroom because they've been happen strung by the top editor. >> so the daily report here's go out to these rallies get screamed at by the president and then file their stories. you say they're running into management saying that's too tough on trump? >> they're running into gerard baker. not only were the e-mails leaked but the rough draft of the
3:54 pm
story. >> you never see that. >> whoever pleekd was risking their job. that's a firing offense to do that. >> absolutely. he's lost the newsroom when somebody goes to those lengths. >> here's donald trump talking about the journal. >> i don't believe, i'll not a believer in the wallace journal. it's going to lose fortune. it will be out of business like the rest of them very soon is that gerard's baker in your view reward for thought? >> how sharpless is a serpent's tooth. >> last fall after the election, the "wall street journal" printed a headline that sort of transcribed trump's claim that millions of people voted illegally for hillary clinton without any sort of guidance. so jarod baker is of the school that reporters should not do analysis when it comes to trump.
3:55 pm
just print when it says. we're not a transcription service in this business. >> and do you think it goes back to rupert murdoch who was more critical of trump as a candidate? >> murdoch has been used to using his newspapers in england as political instruments for his business. and he hasn't done that yet with the "wall street journal." but there is been incremental action with going soft on his new friend, old friend donald trump. >> a lot of talk about media bias and there are all different kinds of bias. we have a tough job but we have to be open to criticism. has the story that shows there's potential pro trump bias. interesting to watch. thank you for your reporting. now it's time for who said it? they have lost their minds. they keep trying to do the same thing over and over again. this is from 2013. history may be repeating itself.
3:56 pm
i'll have the answer for you after the break. you always pay your insurance on time. tap one little bumper and up go your rates. what good is having insurance if you get punished for using it? for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise your rates due to your first accident. liberty mutual insurance. ugh. heartburn. sorry ma'am. no burning here. try alka-seltzer heartburn relief gummies. they don't taste chalky and work fast. mmmm. incredible. can i try? she doesn't have heartburn. alka-seltzer heartburn relief gummies. enjoy the relief.
3:57 pm
40 million americans are waking up to a gillette shave. and at our factory in boston, 1,200 workers are starting their day building on over a hundred years of heritage, craftsmanship and innovation. today we're bringing you america's number one shave at lower prices every day. putting money back in the pockets of millions of americans. as one of those workers, i'm proud to bring you gillette quality for less, because nobody can beat the men and women of gillette. gillette - the best a man can get. it's our back to school beeone cent evente.
3:58 pm
at office depot office max. 10 pack pens, one cent. composition notebooks,scissors, and plastic folders all one cent each! hurry to office depot office max. ♪taking care of business. and it's also a story mail aabout people and while we make more e-commerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country, we never forget... that your business is our business the united states postal service. priority: you you myour joints...thing for your heart... or your digestion... so why wouldn't you take something for the most important part of you... your brain. with an ingredient originally found in jellyfish, prevagen is now the number one selling brain health supplement in drug stores nationwide. prevagen. the name to remember.
3:59 pm
we're back with who said it. the quote. they've lost their minds. they keep trying to do the sail thing over and over. it was former senate majority leader harry reid talking about republicans threatening a government shutdown. it came in 2013. the fight was over obamacare. it lasted 16 days. now, different president, a different stand-off with his own party in control of the congress
4:00 pm
and the issue paying for the border wall instead of mexico. the same risk if the government closes. the national parks close, economic productivity takes a hit and this time embarrassment for the gop. the white house saying, we're serious about this. we'll keep you posted. "hardball" is up next. russian roulette. let's play "hardball." >> good evening. for months there's been a clear pattern coming from the occupant of 1,600 pennsylvania avenue. he's used every tool he has to obstruct and slow down the investigation into his campaign's possible collusion with russia. he reportedly asked top intelligence officials on intervene with james comey. he asked comey himself to k

81 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on